Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The equipment

Canon Rebel T3 digital camera gift
Geekily happy over 2011 Christmas presents.
I've noticed on other photography sites that photographers often list the cameras and lenses they use. So far, my list is pretty short. Here's what I have in my "toolbox."

  • Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 Mega Pixel Digital SLR
  • 18-55 mm lens (this came with the camera)
  • 75-300 mm telephoto zoom lens
  • 58 mm wide angle lens + Macro
  • 2X telephoto lens attachment

That's it. Other than a tripod, an extra battery and an extra memory card, plus a bag to carry it all in, that's the extent of my equipment. It's not very fancy, but the Canon Rebel T3 was an ideal first digital camera for me. Prior to this, I'd owned point-and-shoot digital cameras.

I love the feel of this camera; I feel bonded to it. I know the feel of this camera in my hands – it fits. I’ve also grown to trust this camera and the quality of the shots. There is something about using this camera that gives me confidence in the work I want to produce.

People also occasionally ask what I "do" to my photos once I download them at home. While I do have Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 on my laptop, I try not to manipulate my images on the computer much at all. I prefer to let the camera do the heavy lifting. I'm still discovering all and experimenting with the myriad settings on my camera. Using the computer to achieve the effect I want doesn't give me the authentic feel to the work that I want to develop. While I appreciate all of the fun things that can be produced with photoshop, at this point in my journey I want to know what my camera can do and what I can do with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment